TBT: Gone But Not Forgotten (RunDisney Edition)

24 Jul

OK, so this weeks Disney throw back is kind of a cheat, but I need to buy some more time while I do more Disney research (Including invading my mom’s photo albums).

So let’s go back, waaaaaaaaay back to 2012.  That was the year I participated in my first RunDisney race.  Ok, first race period.  And you know what I’m nostalgic about?  Not the race itself but the registration!

64967_3082628797634_1621267019_2527421_1866767782_n

Ahhh, when I was such a newbie…and a monster was born!

Remember the days when you didn’t have to sit in front of you computer the INSTANT a race registration opened in order to get in?  Yeah, I miss those days and they changed pretty quickly too!

In 2012, my dad did not register for the Wine & Dine half marathon until (I think) 3 months after registration opened.  This year, if you waited 3 hours you were out of luck!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This would never have happened if registration in 2012 was like what it is now…

There is no doubt that these races have grown in popularity (and pricing).  And as a result, some of the luxuries that was once held are now gone leading people (ok me) to impulsive register immediately because by the time I’ve thought it out, the race has been sold out.

I only got to enjoy 1 (maybe 1.5) years of stress free RunDisney registration.  I was late to the game and as a result the perks of the original runners was lost to me.

I remember planning to do the Dumbo Double Dare!  It was perfect timing to do it on the way back from Hawaii on our honeymoon.  I mean, I even convinced my husband to let me run 19.3 miles on our honeymoon (and he did the 10K).  I was all set to register the day it opened.  I had an appointment at noon, but I figured by the time I got out, I would still be able to register.  Nope.  I was back in front of my computer less than an hour after registration and it was all sold out.  (I ended up registering with an amazing charity, AT Children’s Project!)

Honeymoon 868

First experience with the insane registration

The Dumbo taught me that lesson the hard way…I would now sit in front of my computer (or deliberately be somewhere else to avoid temptation) when RunDisney registrations open.

Another late to the game perk lost?  Using my DVC points for the race weekends.  For the W&D I attempted to book a DVC resort the INSTANT you could book a non-home resort, and there was NOTHING available (later Sarasota Springs would open up, but I had already booked Pop Century).  For the WDW marathon weekend, I wasn’t taking any chances, I booked my home resort the instant I was 11 months out, and when I looked to possibly switch to a non-home resort, again, all booked (although I am wait listed for resorts I most likely will not get).  Even now, booking trying to book for the Princess…oy!  Last year, I didn’t book the Boardwalk until the end of August (literally the day I officially became DVC…I was still on my honeymoon!) and this year?  Fughedabouit.  This isn’t to say the Boardwalk won’t open up (and there is availability in the AKL and Sarasota Springs) but again, booked!  I was able to get things one year and not the next.

I realize there is no way to fix these problems really.  If you increase the size of the races so registration doesn’t get filled as fast, you end up with race courses that are even more ridiculously packed (and the hotel booking definitely doesn’t get any easier).

Alright, today’s TBT was really kinda a bitch fest, but admit it, you too miss the days when you could register for RunDisney races hours, days, weeks, even months after registration opened AND get the hotel you want for said race.

13 Responses to “TBT: Gone But Not Forgotten (RunDisney Edition)”

1. Nicole @ pink elephant on parade July 24, 2014 at 9:41 am #

how hard is it to get a dvc room for a race weekend? If I did it, I’d pick Boardwalk because let’s be honest that’s where I spend all of my time anyway and I love it but if I ended up never being able to get a room there for marathon weekend (week now?) I’d be pissed.

• kebe51 July 24, 2014 at 10:16 am #

You can easily book your home resort…or at least I could easily book AKL no problem because you can do so almost a year in advance. I honestly can’t say about the other hotels. Like I said, I booked the Boardwalk no problem last year, but this year, all but 1 day was available…BUT, something could open up, you can wait list resorts. I honestly don’t want to say one way or another because I am still new to this. I haven’t even had DVC for a year, so my knowledge/experience could be different from someone else’s. I’m sorry, I realize that my response wasn’t particularly helpful…

• Nicole @ pink elephant on parade July 24, 2014 at 10:42 am #

no no, that was really helpful!

• kebe51 July 25, 2014 at 7:50 am #

Phew! Ok! Btw, another perk, I apparently can early register/sign (at a minuscule discount) up for all those for all those seminars/workshops/whatevers during the food & wine festival…if I wanted to.

If you have any other questions, I’d be glad to help, if I can! :)

2. prairieprincessrunners July 24, 2014 at 10:28 am #

I remember the old days too…as in 2010….I remember the Disneyland Half didn’t sell out for ages. I wonder if it can or will ever go back to that way? I mean, can it really keep up this frenzied pace and interest? And no, I am not being sarcastic. lol.

• kebe51 July 25, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Wow, you go WAAAAAAY back! lol I don’t know. Maybe this, like all things, is just a phase/craze and it will pass. Although, if it doesn’t, you get to keep having registration brunches which look amazing! ;)

• prairieprincessrunners July 25, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Hahah…I don’t know if I’ll ever get a group like that to go to another race–we’ll have to see if the group of 9 gets along during our trip in February! lol.

Btw, I don’t know why, but I woke up this morning craving an Earl of Sandwich breakfast sandwich. Don’t know if I can wait another 69 days to have one. lol.

3. Run, Karla, Run July 24, 2014 at 10:53 am #

It’s amazing how this is happening to popular races all over the country. I leisurely registered for the Chicago Marathon in 2009, now they’re on a lottery because a registration rush crashed their system in 2013. Marine Corps Marathon, Houston, Nike Women’s, Cherry Blossom and so many others are on lotteries. I wonder if Disney would ever consider it. Have a DVC/passholders lottery and general lottery. If races keep selling out faster and faster, they might have to.

• kebe51 July 25, 2014 at 7:48 am #

It’s true! The running community has expanded so much! And a RunDisney lottery? Oh, I hope not! I understand how lotteries can be beneficial, and save us from this madness, but I would HATE the idea of missing out on Wine & Dine one year because I wasn’t picked in the lottery. Yes, I am aware of how completely selfish I am being lol.

4. Jenn @ Fairest Run of All July 24, 2014 at 11:08 am #

I signed up for the 2013 Princess Half THREE MONTHS after registration opened. There certainly has been quite a shift there…

• kebe51 July 25, 2014 at 7:45 am #

Especially now with the Glass Slipper Challenge…you know we Disney folks love our multiple medals. It’s crazy how quickly that changed!

5. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney July 24, 2014 at 11:36 am #

2012 Wine and Dine was my first RunDisney event too and I think I registrered maybe a month or two after it opened. Fast forward to 2013 and I think the only reason I was in front of my computer when registration opened was because I was at work and had it on the calendar. Good thing as it turned out. And that was only a year later!

• kebe51 July 25, 2014 at 7:43 am #

If you want to register for a race, you NEED to be in front of your computer now. Even the early registrations are getting sold out within hours for some of these races! RIDONKULOUS!