If You Can’t Say Something Nice…

6 Feb

OK, I am clearly having a rough week.  The RunDisney issue is somewhat resolved, so I will retract my stressed-out post from the other day, especially given the them of today’s post.

Let’s just get this out of the way.  I am fat.  OK, not morbidly obese, but I am on the bigger end of the spectrum.  Being a single digit clothing size is something I would love to achieve (again).  I realize, that once upon a time I was not this big and that this time was not that long ago.  Yes, I have gained weight.  Yes, I am well aware of this fact.  So someone please explain to me why they find it necessary to ask dumb questions pointing out this fact?!?!

Weight gain is stressful enough, even more so when you have no idea where it’s coming from.  I haven’t changed my eating habits and I’m working out more (although running less…hello motivation!).  My body image is something I am very sensitive about, have dealt with, sometimes to unhealthy extremes, my entire life.

The point is, if someone you know has gained weight (especially when that person has life long body issues), please try and refrain from asking/stating the following:

-Are you still working out?  You were so svelte for your wedding
-ARE YOU PREGNANT?

Obviously there are other things people can say/ask that they shouldn’t, but since I specifically heard these within the past week, I am using them for reference.  Listen, I expect those kind of questions and comments from my grandmother, not from you.  Plus if I wanted to be mean and stoop to their level I could point out that the pot is calling the kettle black…but I won’t because “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything!”

Thus endeth my venting rant.

12 Responses to “If You Can’t Say Something Nice…”

1. Nicole @ pink elephant on parade February 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

ooooooooooooh my gooooooooooooooooood sometimes i hate people.

• kebe51 February 10, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

You know, if I was Elsa, screw “Let it Go,” I’d turn them into snowmen! And not the cool kind that ends up with the tiara in the end!

2. Run, Karla, Run February 6, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Sartre was right: Hell is other people. Any time I encounter a mean person, I think about how awful it must be to be them, to be so miserable that you have to try to make everyone else miserable too. Sigh.

• kebe51 February 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Misery loves company I guess. I wish I could have your mindset…instead I just think about wanting to punch them in the face lol

3. Jenn February 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

OMG people are serious asses. I don’t get it. You looked great when I saw you so try not to let them all get to you!

• kebe51 February 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm #

Thanks Jenn! I appreciate that! They better watch out for the day when I’m strong enough to lift them! lol

4. dnardi710 February 7, 2014 at 9:42 am #

What is wrong with people? Sh*t like this is so frustrating and really can ruin your day/ week, etc. I’m sorry to hear that you had to deal with these unfortunate people. I had a similar week with someone making me feel bad about my choices (a relative none the less…) and unfortunately it ended with me really losing my temper. I try to remind myself that she is an unhappy, bitter person and she’s just taking it out on me, but it’s hard to take that crap and not react to it.

• kebe51 February 10, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

I’m sorry you has to deal with annoying stupid people too! (I apologize for insulting your relative, but given your description, I figure its OK). I was soooo depressed. The people who said I looked preggo made it into a long conversation too about how I must be, and its not my clothes. Had I not been at work (and didn’t want to lose my job) who knows how I would’ve reacted. Ridonkulous!

5. wdwalone February 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Glad to hear your runDisney issue is resolved.

Sorry about the rudeness of people…

• kebe51 February 10, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

Thanks and thanks! At least I can rely on Disney to be nice to me.

6. Emily February 9, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

Been there, done that. My favorite is still the week where I got the following questions/comments in the space of a few days: 1) maybe you’ll be alone for the rest of your life; 2) being asked if I was my sister’s mother; 3) so I’m not remembering three (its probably permanently blocked from my brain) but I think it was weight related. Seriously, some people just need to think before they speak. Ugh. I’m in a “I hate the world and especially people” mood lately.

• kebe51 February 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

I totally hate people right now. A LOT of them. But it’s ok. Deep breaths. Before we know it we’ll be in Disney were people like that are banished!

Seriously, people are unbelievable.